Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Adventures of Chocolate Chip Continue

Above Chocolate Chip 2
Below Chocolate Chip 1
Read on to find out the story...

About 3 weeks ago Chocolate Chip completely vanished. We NEVER take Chocolate Chip on field trips (out of the house) due to the last excursion he had last year. To hear that saga check out the blog in May 2009.
Hunter really only asked about him a few times and I didn't think it was bothering him. He vanished on a weekend. During the week, I continually looked but couldn't find him. That following weekend I looked and cleaned under every piece of furniture in the house (including beds). I even checked the chair cushions in the family room. Chocolate Chip was no where to be found. I had given up hope. Luckily, Aunt Wendy had sent us a friend to have on hand if this was to ever happen. So, after much dismay, I pulled out the reserve.
I hated doing it because I knew he was somewhere in the house or somehow made it in the trash can. I kept thinking of Toy Story 3 and Lotso's story of how his owner had lost him. If you remember the movie, he found his way back home only to find that his owner had replaced him with a new version of himself. My heart was aching for Chocolate Chip, but I knew what I had to do.
Sunday night, a week and 1 day after he went missing, I went into Hunter's room to put him into bed. I told him that I found Chocolate Chip in the washing machine (I wasn't thinking clearly and should have said dryer, but luckily he didn't put that he was dry and not wet together.) Hunter as amazed at how shiny and soft his fur looked. The original Chocolate Chip had a very worn plastic nose. Hunter noticed that his nose was "all fixed". He hugged him and kept saying, "I'm so glad to have my favorite dog back." The next morning, as I was getting ready, Hunter came in the bathroom as soon as he woke up. He had Chocolate Chip in hand. He looked up at me and said, "Mom, he must have gone to God's washing machine because God's washing machine does a good job." LOVE IT!!!
Well, last week I went to sit on the couch in our living room. Adam and I were talking as Hunter was playing with a new train track that I had just finished building. For some reason, I decided to reach behind me. Who did I find under the cushions? None other than the original Chocolate Chip (CC). I immediately looked at Adam. He knew by the look on my face what I had found. He mouthed, "Did you find him?" I shook my head yes and pushed CC further down in the cushions. Later that night, after Hunter had gone to bed, I retrieved CC. I placed him the washing machine, then the dryer, and gave him a little peck on the cracked plastic nose before placing him at the top of our closet for safe keeping. Yes, you will find me going in the closet late at night to reassure CC that Hunter, one day, will play with him again. Until that day comes, CC will stay and observe our family from high up in the closet.