Monday, May 2, 2011

The Butterfly Garden

We began our butterfly life cycle by glueing carrot seeds to leaves to simulate the eggs.
We then created caterpillars using Fruit Loops. The kids did get to eat Fruit Loops for snack that day.

Here is one of the butterflies coming out of their cacoon.


Another one of our butterflies.


This is a bulletin board that was created as the transformations of our real butterflies happened. Once the caterpillars made their cocoons, the students create their cocoons out of paper bags. The butterflies were so much fun to create. I had the students put crayon shavings (pre-shaved) on some wax paper. We then folded the paper and ironed it. The iron melted the crayon shavings and made beautiful colors. I cut out the butterflies. On Friday morning, I sent the kids to PE and quickly cut open some of the cocoons and place the butterflies coming out of them. I then put the remaining butterflies on and around the board. When the students came back from PE they were amazed to see their creations all over this wall. I have to say, I am having fun with my kiddos. They are wearing me out, but it is fun.
We also watched the transformation the ladybugs go through.
This is the ladybug house we used to observe them.


The butterflies loved the sugar/water soaked paper towel. I had a hard time getting them off .




If you look at the top left corner of this picture, you can see one of our butterflies enjoying the garden.

The speck on the sidewalk is one of our butterflies exploring the world.


One of the butterflies took to the flowers immediately.



In my class, we have been exploring and observing butterflies the last few weeks. I have never actually had the experience of watching each stage of this amazing transformation. The kids loved watching it also. I had no clue that they spun cocoons or came out of the cocoons so quickly. You can leave them for 2 minutes and these 2 happenings can happen. We had combined our 5 butterflies with Mrs. Payne's classes. We had 10 cocoons, but only 9 made it. Today we set them free in our Butterfly Garden at school. Our courtyard has been made into a garden that has plants that are appealing to butterflies. It is so much fun to take the kids out and explore that area. Now, at least for the next 12 to 14 days, we will be looking for our butterflies and seeing them enjoy our garden.