Thursday, December 23, 2010

Creating memories sweeter than candy

Early risers take on Nannie and Papa's bed.

Working on a special surprise for Mom and Dad.
Hard at work creating a masterpiece (he worked on it for over an hour).
Proud of the finished product.


Nannie and Evan listening to Papa on the guitar. Evan likes to dance while listening. Such a cutie!!!
Enjoying Papa's concert together "as a family" (Hunter loves saying that.)

Christmas is my favorite times of year. One of the reasons being spending time with family. As hectic as it can get, there are always moments that make it all worth it. There are several moments that I have cherished this year. A few that I would like to document so that I don't forget them.
At one point in time during my teenage years, Daddy started coming to me and asking me to help him with Mom's presents. Either it was helping him shop for them and/or helping him wrap them all. This usually doesn't take place prior to December 23rd. The past few years he hasn't been as motivated to complete this with me. However, this year was different. It all started Sunday night. We, the original Morris 5 + families, exchanged Christmas gifts. Mom bought Daddy a BlueRay player (they enjoy watching movies together). That night, after the "present opening" had ended, Daddy started looking for the receipts for the BlueRay player. Mom was rather confused as to why he wanted them. This scavenger hunt continued until the next morning. Finally, Daddy asked me if I knew where they were. I asked him why he needed them and why did he want to take it back. He told me that he wanted to take it back and use that money to buy Mom a Christmas gift. He wanted to buy her a gold bracelet. My heart just burst. The love Mom and Dad have showed us girls has always been very evident. However, over the past 3 years, it has changed. The disease has changed their relationship and we have seen a different type of relationship develop between our parents. Daddy wanting to buy Mom a gift pleased us all. I secretly took Dad to Jared's to look for a gold bracelet. He found one that was perfect. The lady said, "This is a beautiful bracelet." Daddy's response was, "It is a beautiful bracelet for a beautiful woman."
The tradition continued after we got home. He wanted me to wrap the gift. I didn't get to that immediately due to needing to tend to my family. I soon realized that I needed to because he was worried about it. I wrapped it as soon as I could. After it was wrapped he was worried about putting a tag on it. I gave him a tag and a pen. I asked him if needed me to help him write a message. He said he could do it on his own. I found him at his desk copying something onto the tag. After he finished, he handed it to me and I put it on the gift. The tag said, "I can't wait to be with my sweetheart." It was sweet, but I was confused. I didn't know what he meant by that. I went to his black book and opened it up to the page he was copying from. I found that he had written a few song lyrics down and he was copying one of them. He has been having problems writing his name and I was very proud of him for thinking of this. Since then, he has asked me a few times where the gift was. I wrapped it in wrapping paper that looks different than all of the other gifts so it is easy for him to see it. I point it out every time. He is looking forward to her opening it on Christmas morning. I love being here to experience this. Thank you God for their love and letting it shine through during this Christmas season.