Saturday, September 7, 2013

10 Years and Counting

10 years...I can't believe that we have been married for 10 years.  We knew that we wanted to do something adventurous and different, but we weren't too sure what that was.  A few months ago, we decided that we wanted to go Whitewater rafting down the Ocoee River.  We were able to get a package deal for both rafting and ziplining.  I was personally a little frightened about the ziplining.  Little did I know that the rafting is something to be feared.  
So...rafting down the Ocoee ended up being rather dangerous.  We signed up to go down the full river.  Little did I know that the full river included the Olympic route that was taken in the 1998 Olympics.  As we were given the instructions, I knew that it was going to be a thrilling ride.  As we approached the Olympic portion, my adrineline was pumping full force.  We made it through 3 rapids and then we approached a rapid named "Humongous", and it was humongous.  As we went into the rapid, our boat slanted sideways.  I immediately fell out. As I was tossed about, I recall hitting the bottom 3 times before being thrown out (later I found out that I was trapped under the raft).  Once I was up, I was pulled back under.  Adam then jumped in to try to help.  I grabbed his hand, only to be pulled under again.  By this time, I had hit bottom at least 2 more times.  I hear people yelling and throwing ropes from the side,  I grab the rope and try to pull myself ashore, but did it incorrectly.  This pulled me under again.   I finally made it up and was in such shock, it felt like I sat there for a few minutes.  By the time I gathered my nerves and body together, I realized that I lost my shoes and possibly broke my ankle.  I had no choice, but to get back on the raft and continue down the rest of the river.  You can baet that I hung on for dear life after that little episode.  (Adam even lost his wedding ring. AND later on in August, 2 women died in a rapid not as intense as the one I fell out of.)

The ziplining experience was fun and not as adventureous.  In fact, I was wondering why some people are scared to do that over the rafting.  


We stayed at a beautiful golf resort, Brasstown Valley.  The cottage was gorgeous and so quiet.  The food was delicious.  I even hit a few shots on the course.  I wish we could get away like that more often - minus the rafting experience.