Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, Thanksgiving!!! I did extend the invite to anyone and everyone. However, we did have the whole week off from school, and a lot of people went out of town due to this extended week off.
So...Thanksgiving ended up being the "original 7", Dave and Michelle Legried, Kevin, Jayme, and Hayden Deardorff, Kathy Tobin, and ourselves. I was looking forward to a small and quiet day for some reason.
Adam stayed home from work and helped out with the kids. Getting everything in the turkey and in the oven can be difficult. Having him around was very helpful. I enjoy doing the cooking on this special day and spending time with the ones I love most. I can't tell you how many times I walked out of the house just to be hit with the aroma of all of the goodness cooking in the oven when I would come back in.
I did plan a later dinner just in case Adam did have to work (4pm vs. 2pm). There was no rush. However as Dave, my annual turkey carver, was carving the turkey he notices it wasn't ready. Every year I have at least one "oopsie". What an "oopsie" this was!!! We ended up putting the carved pieces into the oven and cooking them a little longer. It put dinner off a little, but it worked. Note to self for next year: buy a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey; pay attention to BOTH the time AND temperature. Dinner was a hit and the company was even better. Hunter and Kathy made crepes for dessert. It was a great day.