Sunday, September 19, 2010

Our trip from Florida and meeting Briley

Briley and Mackenzie look like they could be siblings.
Proud dad and Papa watch as Briley takes his bottle.
Proud grandparents.



Nervous, anxious, and stressed are a few words to describe my anticipation of our long trip from Florida to Tennessee. We originally had planned on leaving Wednesday, September 22nd. However, Mom and I decided that leaving a few days earlier might be a little easier and give me more time to visit. Adam had to work so he would be traveling up on Monday.

We left Saturday morning around 9:30am. Our goal was to make it half-way which is Perry, GA. I fed Mackenzie right before putting her in the car so that we could make it a few hours before we had to stop. With Papa, Hunter, and Mackenzie in tow we set out. Hunter has always been good with long car trips. I knew what to expect with him. I wasn't so sure what to expect from Mackenzie. Mackenzie started to stir a few hours later, just in time for lunch. Nannie, Papa, and Hunter headed into Chick-fil-a while I fed Mackenzie in the car. Once lunch was finished, we set off. Mackenzie was perfect until her next feeding. She slept the whole day in the car. We arrived in Perry, GA, as planned, around 7:30pm. Papa and Hunter decided to go get their "injuries" (energy) out in the pool. After about 45 minutes in the pool, we all headed to bed. I, again, was a little anxious about everyone in the hotel room together. I wasn't sure how Mackenzie would be, but again she was perfect. She woke up at her normal times and went right back to sleep. The next morning we set off for Nashville around 8:30. Our day unfolded just as it had the day before. Hunter, Mackenzie, and Papa where all perfect. It occurred to me that Nannie was the only "normal" party in the car.
Hunter - a preschooler full of energy
Mackenzie - a 4 week old baby ready to eat at any time
Me - a mom recovering from a c-section and dealing with hormones
Papa - nervous about traveling and being out of his element

Our trip was unfolding perfectly so we decided to make a pit-stop in Manchester, TN to meet my newest nephew, Briley. Briley was born 4 days after Mackenzie. I knew that he looked similar to Mackenzie in pictures, but after laying them side-by-side I was convinced they could be brother and sister. Martha looked fabulous. She didn't even look like she had given birth a few weeks ago. (I am convinced she ordered him through QVC and he showed up on her door step.) We enjoyed sharing our newest additions with each other. We are looking forward to spending time together this weekend. Because of our day in the car, we didn't stay to long. Overall, our trip went perfect. My prayers had been answered and we arrived with nerves in tact.